Today the world is as globalized as it could be - - yet we struggle to find meaning in our daily existence.

28 February 2011

Idiosyncrasies of the Peculiar Mind

I've been on this weird funk lately, and I'm not sure what the cause of it was. Call it a "photographer's block," whatever it was I felt it pass this past weekend. This roll was taken a few weeks ago, but I simply haven't had the time to drop it off at Chungmuro, so I just held onto it until I went this past weekend with Jungle and Kelly. The weather was superbly compliant, and provided enough warmth to have half the city crawling back out from their winter slumber. Hopefully I can get Saturday's roll developed sometime this week.

Suffice it to say, it was rather fun to be out again shooting under non-cloudy skies,
though I hope for the spring to arrive sooner than later.

I've found that when I'm shooting by myself I go about things in a flurry, firing away without really hesitating, unrestrained and free to roam as I please. Though it is (currently) impossible to look through each other's viewfinders in realtime to see precisely, at the moment, what we are each seeing, shooting with Jungle and Kelly allowed me to take a step back and observe their own unique perspectives. By watching these two get immersed in their own peculiar ways, I was provided with another breathe of photographic life.

Our subconscious notices everything, all the while the conscious disregards everything, as we thread from one area to another. I kept asking myself: "What am I taking a picture of? What is my mission for the day? What hasn't someone else taken a picture of?" On certain occasions having a mission certainly makes the game more fun. Other times, it's best to let go of any "conscious thought" and just go with what your unconscious is telling you. With a blur of images and people constantly in motion, I was able to pick out certain stationary images in their serenity. Perhaps, I find the sublime more intriguing than the obvious, though I consider myself painfully over-analytical at times.

Anyways, this roll was from a few weeks ago, and it took me over a week and a half to get through, and another week and a half to actually get it developed, but I'm really happy with the way the photos came out.

So that's another 3 rolls for this month. So far, so good.

Roll:
(1) Kodak Tmax 400 (10/36)


Niko-matic Jungle's FE2 Live interviews touristhorse +++ Garfield and friends +++ Over icey waters Wings yes, those are wings.



pax

2 comments:

christina said...

niceee!
i remember those moments exactly! all except for the wing shoes, but i was probably off somewhere for that one. anywho, love all of them! always love seeing your work! :)

omabu said...

im mid Tmax 400 roll right now!

these turned out sick phil! very clean and great captures. looks like that garfield has been puffin on the magic dragon a bit, no??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...