Today the world is as globalized as it could be - - yet we struggle to find meaning in our daily existence.

10 August 2010

Donuts do BALI [-Kuta Series-]

As I'm listening to the XX, cropping and uploading my pictures, I couldn't believe what I had experienced last week. It was INCREDIBLE to say the least. It was as if I had been incepted into a dream world that I knew was real, but couldn't quite grasp it while I was there. An unforgettable week filled with GREAT friends, GREAT foods, GREAT stays, and GREAT events! I've been fortunate enough to see many beautiful places in North America: from Vancouver, Canada, to Baja Mexico, Mexico, to Oahu, Hawai'i, the Pacific Coast of Humboldt County, and the many beaches, mountain ranges, and deserts inhabiting California, to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, and even New York and Washington DC on the East Coast. But this was the first time I've been to another country (aside from Korea) on this side of the Pacific.

A few thoughts on Bali:

"SPECTACULAR."
"MAGNIFICENT"
"PARADISE"
"HEAVEN ON EARTH"
"IMPRESSIVELY AWE-INSPIRING"
"BEAUTIFUL"
"BREATHTAKING"
"MUST-SEE"

If I could give it 10 Thumbs up I would. But for now I guess 2 will have to do.

Bali combines the beautiful beaches and the tropical breezes of the Hawaiian Islands, along with the crisp & pristine mountainous ranges of California that soothes the soul. If there is one place I can truly recommend everyone visiting, it is definitely Bali. With zero expectations, I left Korea and found a breathtaking paradise in Bali. Everyone we encountered provided some sort of never before seen perspective on life, and what it means to be a human being. I can go on and on about how beautiful this place is, but I hope the pictures can do most of the talking.

It took me hours to compile, sort through gigs of jpegs, crop (with very minimal post-editing), upload, write, and put together only the first leg of the trip, so I hope these pictures can do justice to what I had experienced with my own eyes!

(before scrolling down, depending on what your view settings are, I might zoom out one or two levels to get a better view of the vertical pictures. On Safari, I believe it is Apple Key (⌘) and the (-) button. Or, go to View then Zoom Out (⌘-).

enjoi :D

DSC_0004
Incheon International Airport's sophisticated transportation to the Departure Gates.

DSC_0009
Mr. Santhose (Manager with Samsung) heading back to India for a vacation with his family.

DSC_0023
DSC_0024
Notice the Cholita headband :)

DSC_0030a
Traditional Balinese statues carrying a theme of abstract animals and dragons. Very fascinating to see.

DSC_0026a
Free fiber for the week

DSC_0038
Warung, or street food vendors.

DSC_0039
First tastes of Balinese cuisine. Oh man, don't even get me started on the food. Starting at 15,000 IDR (~$1.5 USD) you get a delicious meal, and at 50,000 IDR (~$5 USD) you're eating fresh caught Marlin for a KING.

DSC_0042
DSC_0062
Mid-flight shots

DSC_0054
DSC_0033
Beautiful

DSC_0070
DSC_0071
YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! #3 and #4 of the Bintang Donuts have arrived!
(BTW, Sugi I have some hilarious shots of you, and Lauren there are some model moments of you)

DSC_0091
DSC_0096

How to shoot a picture, Asian-style.
sugi12
DSC_0099
1, 2, 3!

L n S Paddle 3a
L n S Paddle 1
L n S Paddle 2
Paddleball is a lot more fun than you think. Ask these guys.

One thing we all noticed about Bali was the amount of stray dogs that were happily loitering around as they pleased. In contrast, Korea has an invasion of stray cats idling around the streets. By using a chicken satay we lured one of the dogs over so that Jungle could pet him.

jungle and dog
DSC_0102

After the beach session we headed back to our Resort to swim in the pool before exploring Kuta, and finding a place to grab some dinner. Sugi and I decided to check out the sunset while the ladies were washing up. I've seen a lot of sunsets in my life, but this one was even more surreal than most of the other ones. We saw some guys playing futsol by the beach, and I wanted to join in, but I was captivated by the sunset.
futsol
DSC_0131
DSC_0150

After getting cleaned up, we headed out to the local food court where there must have been at least 15 different warungs, all trying to get us to buy dinner from their stations. They were by far the most persistent group of restauranteurs I have ever encountered in my life.

DSC_0168
DSC_0167
How about a Mie Goreng, with chicken and an egg on top?

DSC_0173
Scooter-nation. Though we did not ride scooters in Kuta, we had two full days worth of scooting around in Nusa Lembongan.

DSC_0175
FLAPJAKS, where ANY DESSERT COMBINATION is POSSIBLE. You can order a waffle with gelato on top, while having a steak and egg sandwich. Or, if you prefer pancakes, you can throw some ice cream on top with some syrup. You'll be lucky to make it out of here alive.

DSC_0179
Quite possibly the best Banana Split in the world. The sweet crystalline overload was counter-balanced with a bag of salty fries from the sports pub next door.

DSC_0182
After the incredulous dessert session, we headed over to the local massage parlor to get a phenomenal foot and back massage. It was the first time I ever got a massage at a parlor, and the masseuse did a great job relaxing my entire body. No happy ending, but I was a happy camper.

DSC_0186
Wait... what?!

... and that was just the first 48 hours...

Jungle's Perspective

[My favorite picture from the Kuta Series]
DSC_0153

Next up, the [-Ubud Series-]...

2 comments:

!Empower! said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost feel like i travelled with you, amazing documentation and description mah friend, can't wait for the next post!

jHust said...

my cheeks hurt from smiling... amazing pictures brotha, utter happiness

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...